Saturday, November 03, 2007

The next level of insanity

Ha ha!! Don't laugh. I've signed up for NaNoWriMo.....
I fully expect to fail to finish and to write absolute dross but people keep telling me I need something to do - although I think they meant something that got me out of the house ;)

I am, bizarrely perhaps, currently writing something that might be classed as Sci-Fi/Fantasy. Think Elizabeth Moon/Anne McCaffrey.....

I'm not sure I dare post any of it here for fear you'll all laugh hysterically, or you'll simply decide I'm not the person you thought I was and sod off.

Have any of you done NaNoWriMo? Are you doing it this year?

It's funny, people have often encouraged me to write a book - given the number I read I think they thought it was a given that I'd be a writer too. However I've never felt the urge - too much pressure - the old 'getting it right' thing. However NaNoWriMo has given me permission to write total crap. And of course, it's the ultimate in escapism - not only is it getting to retreat into another world/life - it gets to be one that I fashion myself. What will it tell me about myself? That, I think, will be the most interesting thing. They say that when writing, you should write about what you know - but *how* exactly do you do that if you're writing fantasy/sci-fi? The whole point is that it has some strange-ness to it. Although, I suppose, not too much - otherwise we wouldn't read it, we wouldn't be able to relate to the characters or their situations......

Ponder, ponder

2 comments:

Snoskred said...

I'm giving it a try this year and it is a lot easier than I expected. ;) Mine is probably going to turn out as sci-fi/fantasy sort of too. But the start of it seems to be some kind of love story. I know where I want it to go but I'm not sure it is going to take me there. It has developed a life of its own. ;)

Cheers!
Snoskred
www.snoskred.org

Jhianna said...

I totally understand not wanting to put something out there, but at the same time....

I wanna read it! I'm horribly incapable of being a critic though or being able to tell you anything other than "I liked it", "I really liked it", "I loved it", "It was good but not my thing", or "Look over there, kitteh! *runs away quietly*".

Oh, and Snosk linked to you awhile ago and I've been reading ever since. I'm also apparently very bad at introducing myself. Hello!