Friday, July 07, 2006

7/7

Where were you?

I was blithely unaware of what was happening until I got to the hospital where I was seeing Keith the massage therapist.
I knew something wasn't right: I'd had to walk nearly the whole way there because no bus came. And there were lots of people waiting and there was that buzz in the air.

Something's not right.

So, I walked. A big deal for me at that time: I was impressed I made it.

It's funny because before I left, David's mum called to say that there was a problem with the tube and I didn't check. I just thought, I'm not getting the tube: it doesn't matter. I didn't even check to see what was happening. I didn't think it was anything big. I was wrong.

And so, I didn't really realise what was going on until I got to the hospital. While I was there the hospital implemented its 'disaster management' (my term, not theirs) and were expecting a possible influx of wounded people. The lifts were closed to the public in order to be used for patient transfer. And there I was, on the eighth floor. It's a long way down when your legs are wobbly. In the end, Keith walked me down: me clutching his arm. But however wobbly I was; I had nothing to complain about - people were treated in that hospital who had lost limbs and had other serious injuries. I was lucky.

Today, my thoughts are with all those for whom this is a very difficult day. And working close to Russell Square I have already seen many of those people. Walking into work this morning the streets round here were cordoned off - just like they were after the incident last year. It brought back floods of memories. Some about the bombs and some about where I was at that time last year. So, after the little freak-out I had yesterday I'm feeling a little fragile - but mostly, so sad for other people. I don't think I had the capacity to really spread my feelings last year and so it's now that my empathy is springing in.

May all those who need it be sheltered and comforted and held.

No comments: