I was particularly interested by the part that P'ina talks about - the 'missing having cancer' bit and various people have responded by saying - silly question - but I'm not so sure (and I'm mostly copying what I left in her comments field because I want to say this to a slightly wider audience.) I mean, of course I don't miss having a life-threatening disease - I'm not mentally deficient BUT I do miss some of the things that happened/the way things were whilst I was having treatment.
I miss: (::Sigh:: some of these I'm not proud of)
- being cared for rather than doing the caring;
- being 'allowed' to take a back seat - not insisting on 'doing it myself';
- being allowed to slow down;
- not having to do things I didn't want to;
- feeling free-er to say 'no';
- being the focus of my family for a while - the priority;
- people being aware of how important it is to *say* and *show* how they feel;
- being able to say 'I'm not OK, it's not fine';
- the shocking immediacy of everything that made me feel more 'alive' than I had for a long time.